10 Safe and Effective Ways To Clean Your Face Shield. Just like face masks, shields also need to be cleaned. The cleaning should be done properly so that you don’t damage it, and also to make sure you don’t carry germs around.
1. To avoid creating surface scratches, submerge the face shield in warm water to dislodge particulate matter.
2. Adding a mild liquid dish, reduces surface tension, and allows the soapy water to evenly disperse across the surface.
3. A soft cloth or sponge can be used to gently clean the shield.
4. Rinse the shield in clear water and dry with a soft cotton towel or a microfiber cloth.
5. Remember soap and water removes microbes on our hands, so it will work on your shield as well.
6. Some clinicians also wish to use a surface disinfectant wipe or spray, but these products can leave a visible residue, which then needs to be removed.
7. While a quick wipe may seem efficient, the contact time must be a followed. The required wet contact time can range from thirty seconds to as long as four minutes.
8. A 70% alcohol wipe will also disinfect and keep plastic surfaces clear, but it is critical to remove the bioburden prior to disinfecting.
9. Avoid using household cleaners that contain ammonia or products formulated to clean glass surfaces.
10. If you are worried that a specific cleaner or disinfectant might damage your face shield it is easy to run a compatibility test. Apply a small amount of the product in an inconspicuous place on the shield, such as the edge.