The first born son of Nicholas Warunge and Anne Njenga has been arrested for the role he played in the cold-blooded murder of his parents, brother and cousin.
Lawrence Warunge, 23, was arrested last night arrested in connection with the crime and is being held at Muthaiga Police Station.
Police sources say the young man has confessed to the crime. It is believed at least five people were involved in the Kiambu murders.
Here is how he did it according to detectives.
1. Lawrence was missing since Tuesday when his parents were murdered at their Kiambu home. His mobile phone signal was traced to Naivasha and it is not clear how and why. It was later traced to Thika and later to Kabete area. Police said the suspect went to a relative’s home in Ngongoro area to seek refuge there before they were alerted Friday night.
2. Lawrence told police his parents were “satanic and cruel” to him. It is not clear how. He had in December 2020 gone to a chief’s office in their home and claimed his parents wanted to bewitch him. According to police, his mother who is also dead came and picked him saying he had mental issues.
“THE MATTER WAS NEVER RECORDED BECAUSE THE MOTHER CAME FOR HIM SAYING HE WAS UNWELL,” SAID AN OFFICER AWARE OF THE PROBE.
3. According to the investigators, the absence of any form of forced entry or exit in the razor wire that surrounds the compound shows the killers were well known to the family.
It is believed that they made their way into the house through the rear door, where they found Annie, the wife of slain businessman and USA based nurse Warunge, and hacked her to death before slitting her throat.
4. The commotion in the kitchen drew the attention of the second victim, Maxwell Njenga, Warunge’s 13-year-old nephew, who was confronted along the corridor and cut in the head and throat. Christian Njenga who detectives say was killed and his throat slit on his bed had just turned 13 on December 26, 2020.
5. Police believe Warunge was in the master bedroom upstairs at the time of the attack. He rushed to the balcony on sensing danger and jumped down where the killers caught up with him and stabbed him several times and left him for the dead. He had 34 stab wounds and a slit throat.
6. Nothing was stolen from the compound during the cruel drama.
Kiambu police boss Ali Nuno said they will also revisit past unsolved murder incidents that happened in the family and are probably related to the latest murder.
“THE KILLERS SEEM TO HAVE BEEN ON AN ELIMINATION MISSION. SOME OF THE VICTIMS MAY HAVE BEEN SUBDUED TO A LEVEL THEY COULD NOT RAISE ALARM FOR HELP,” SAID NUNO.
Tuesday’s incident was the fifth in the family according to Nuno.