This article will equip you with a step by step guideline on how to check your water bill online as well as through the Nairobi Water & Sewerage Company (NWSC) short code number at the comfort of your home.
Waiting for the water bill to be sent to you through your Post Office box is the most inefficient way to go about it.
The almost inevitable delays can lead to late payments, consequently leading to disconnections which are costly.
Thankfully, technology has made it easier for a Kenyan to check their water charge on the web or through the *888# shortcode.
How to Check Your Water Bill Online
For an online request, a client has to have a current client account or create one on the NWSC web page.
1. Open https://www.nairobiwater.co.ke/ on your browser
2. Click on the ‘Online Services’ tab – you will then be redirected to a new window.
3. Fill in the Login details as specified and click ‘Submit’
4. You can now check for any outstanding bills.
Notably, the portal also allows you to carry out other tasks such as lodge complaints, check stream water charges, find the nearest pay point to you and pay your bill.
How to Check Your Water Bill Using Your Mobile Phone
NWSC launched a shortcode you can use to register for E-bills, make balance inquiries, pay the water bill, identify if a technician is indeed from the institution, edit account details as well as access their contacts, in case you need to get in touch with them for any form of assistance.
Here’s how to check your water balance on your mobile phone
1. Dial *888# on your phone
2. You will be directed to a window that has 7 options
3. Key in ‘2’ on the dialogue box to get to query your bill
It’s that simple, you can then move on to any other task available among the seven options.
How to Pay Your Water Bill Via M-PESA or Airtel Money
If your water supplier is Nairobi City Water and Sewerage Company, you can pay your water bill via M-PESA as follows:
1. Select Pay Bill from your M-PESA menu
2. Next, enter the bill Account No. NWC12345; the last five digits are your personal NCWSC meter number.
3. Next, enter the amount you wish to pay
4. Type in your M-PESA PIN
5. Confirm details are correct and press OK
6. After some minutes, you will receive a confirmation message from M-PESA confirming the Payment
7. For Airtel users replace the Business No with ‘Nairobi Water’
If you reside outside the capital city, the procedure for paying your water bill via M-PESA or Airtel Money is the same.
However, the pay bill number differs in each region.
Below are pay bill numbers of some of the major towns in Kenya
1. Mombasa Water Supply and Sanitation Pay bill number: 895 500
2. Kisumu Water Company Pay bill number: 517 000
3. Nakuru Water Pay bill number: 111 444
4. Eldoret Water Pay bill number: 511 000
5. Nithi Water and Sanitation Pay bill number: 901 325
6. Kiambu Water Pay bill number: 885 100
7. Garissa Water Pay bill number: 880 600
8. Mavoko Water and Sewerage Company Pay bill number: 363 100
You can also reach out directly to NWSC through their official Twitter page here, or their Facebook Page for any queries. Responses on social media platforms are often answered promptly.