Grief engulfed Manyonge Village after a primary school teacher allegedly took his own life due to financial challenges afflicting his family.
The teacher was found gasping for life after reportedly consuming a poisonous substance suspected to be insecticide.
The man in his mid-30s by the name, George Otieno Abor, was until his death a teacher at the nearby Manyonge Primary School in Bondo Sub-county in Siaya.
According to witness accounts, Abor was rushed to Bondo Sub-county Hospital by his neighbors after allegedly consuming the insecticide, but was later pronounced dead.
Confirming the incident, Bondo Township Location Chief, Walter Omollo, said the deceased has had numerous instances of domestic quarrels with his wife who complained of the man’s inability to provide for his family.
Omollo in addition stated that he, on several occasions mediated the couple and the deceased in one instance disclosed that he was facing financial challenges as a result of a loan of Sh. 8,000 he had taken from a bank as overdraft and was getting frustrated servicing the loan.
The Chief has urged members of the public to avoid by all means opting for suicide as a solution to life’s challenges and instead open up and find amicable ways of working through problems.
The body was taken to Bondo Sub-county Hospital mortuary as investigations into the death are ongoing.